We sent out a survey to 750 households and we are pleased to report that 200 took the time to complete our energy questionnaire.
You told us the following:
- Just under half of you (41%) told us that your insulation is less than 200mm (the current minimum recommendation is 270mm). A quarter of those (24%) are actively considering upgrading the insulation in their lofts.
- On the basis of the survey three-quarters of the village (74%) have at least some cavity walls, with a fifth of respondents (21%) needing the cavities filled.
- Around a third of respondents (31%) have some or all of their windows single glazed and of those a fifth (21%) are considering putting in double glazing.
- As we expected, the large majority of people (76%) use oil as their main fuel source with electricity coming next at 14%. It was interesting to hear that even in advance of the new incentives of the Feed-in-Tariff coming in this April and the Renewable Heat Incentive coming in some time in the future that already 8% (16 out of 208 respondents) were generating their own energy – the majority (11) using solar thermal panels to heat around half of their hot water.
- On transport nearly two thirds (62%) of people with diesel cars would consider using waste-oil biodiesel if it was available in the village. Only around a sixth of people surveyed in the village currently use the bus service.
- Finally, it was great to hear that three quarters of you (74%) already knew about Low Carbon Hook Norton.