Banana Bread Pudding
A great way to use up those last slices of stale bread, and a couple of over-ripe bananas.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 pint (284.13 ml) double cream or milk if preferred
- 60 grams dark brown sugar
- 50 grams sultanas
- 1 tbsp. chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 slices stale leftover bread
- Pre heat your oven to 160 degrees.
- Whisk the cream, sugar and eggs in a large bowl.
- Spread the chocolate spread on one side of the bread and cut into triangles, then dip into the egg mix.
- Layer the bread into a lined loaf tin with slices of banana and the sultanas leaving the top layer free of banana and sultanas and placing the top layer of bread chocolate spread side down as not to burn the spread during baking.
- Add the rest of the egg mix to the top of the tin and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Place it in the oven for an hour until golden.
For best results soak the bread overnight, this allows for better absorption of the custard mix and ultimately will result in a better finished dish.
If you don’t have any leftover bread, stale croissants are a great alternative. You could add some sliced dried apricots at the same time as the sultanas. You can serve with hot custard, some cream or a caramel sauce.
Adding some cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or vanilla to the recipe will create a warming flavour.