Hot cross bread & lemon pudding – Serves 4
Cooking time : Prep:20 mins Cook:40 mins plus standing
- knob of butter, for the dish
- 4 stale hot cross buns
- 200g lemon curd (or marmalade)
- 2 large eggs
- 200ml double cream
- 200ml milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- little lemon zest
- cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
- Butter a 1-litre baking dish that will quite snugly fit the buns. Cut each bun into 3 slices, and sandwich back together with a generous spreading of curd/marmalade. Arrange buns in the dish.
- Whisk egg, cream, milk and remaining curd/marmalade, then sieve into a jug with the vanilla and 3 tbsp of the sugar. Pour over the buns and stand at room temperature for 30 mins for the custard to soak in.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/ gas 3. Scatter the remaining sugar and lemon zest over the pudding. Bake for 30-40 mins until the top is golden and the custard gently set. Stand for 5 mins, then serve with cream or vanilla ice cream, if you like.